Friday, June 8, 2012

The Genius of Happy Menocal




I was first introduced to Happy Menocal's work some years ago while perusing a Jonathan Adler store. Her matador watercolor prints stopped me dead in my tracks but as a struggling young artist myself, the price tag forced me to walk away. It was just something about the colors and the fact that the figures reminded me of Quentin Blake's work (you know his work from Roald Dahl books). Unfortunately, Menocal made only 50 in the matador edition, so though I've heard rumors of few stragglers left in select JA stores, I've made my peace with the fact that I will never actually own one. 


Today I found myself on her website and come to realize she has an impressive resume: Vanity Fair, Stubbs and Wooten, Martha Stewart Weddings, and J.crew have all featured her designs. Seems the little lady has been discovered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment